Albemarle County was formed in 1744 by an act of the General Assembly. Its original land area included today's counties of Amherst, Buckingham, Fluvanna, and Nelson, much of Appomattox and part of Campbell. Albemarle County assumed its present boundaries in 1777. It was named in honor of William Ann Keppel, second Earl of Albemarle, who was then governor of the colony. The first county seat was located in Scottsville. In 1761, however, county government was moved to Charlottesville, which was established as a town in 1762 and established as a city on 1888.

Michie Tavern, 1784

Back to  Denney Family../../../Denney.html../../../Denney.html../../../Denney.html../../../../Clement/Clement.htmlshapeimage_3_link_0shapeimage_3_link_1shapeimage_3_link_2